And now may the Lord bless you and keep you.

May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you.

And may God grant unto you His peace-in your going out and in your coming in,

In your lying down and in your rising up,

In your labor and in your leisure,

In your laughter and in your tears,

Until you come to stand before Jesus

In that day in which there is no sunset and no dawning.

Amen

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lucid or not

Last evening was the hardest so far. DH had taken his pills out of order and I had to almost carry him on my shoulders down the hall to bed. I had to undress him and put on his CPAP. This is almost beyond my abilities. When he was getting up this morning he asked why I didn't just let him sleep in the recliner in the living room. That may be a solution.

After a long conversation with my daughter we decided that James can no longer be left at home alone over night. This is the end of my retreats. We agreed that one night a week after supper I can justify going to a guild meeting or neighborhood quilt group. I may rejoin the knitting group at my church ocassionally on weeks when my quilt groups do not meet. I do need some time away from home that is not at work.

My schedule is undergoing a drastic change in that I will have to make sure that DH has his breakfast and morning pills before I leave for work. Fortunately I live near work so I can go home at lunch and make sure he eats and takes his noon meds. Then straight home after work, unless there is grocery shopping to do. This seems such a slight thing to do for DH. Many would consider it a major chore. I find the more I do for him the more I love him.

DD doesn't understand the concept of respite. She cannot differentiate between being responsible right now and having someone else take care of DH while I am away relaxing and still worrying, but not responsible. She will be a verbal support, but that is all she can offer.

I hope we are not close to the next step of Adult Day Care. We are only eligible for two days a week at no cost. The other three will be our financial responsibility and I do not think we can find it in our budget.

Please continue to pray for all Alzheimer and other dementia patients and their care-givers.

No comments: